Tuesday, November 02, 2004

It's Election Day...Did YOU Vote?

I voted before I came to work. The polls opened at 7AM and I happen to live right next door so it would have been silly to come to work without voting first. The nice thing about being in a tiny community on a small island is that no matter what time of day you choose to vote, there is no waiting line. Something I did notice, however, that is probably not common elsewhere, were the election judges. I’ve read other blogs recently where people were planning on bringing books to read while waiting to vote. Here, it was the other way around. I walked in to vote and the judges for 2 out of the 3 elections we voted for today had movies set up to keep them entertained. The table for our national election had a little portable TV/VCR combo thing and the table for our local council elections had a mini DVD player. That’s the first time I’ve seen something like that during elections and have a hard time believing it happens like that everywhere. Felt kind of sorry for the 3rd table that didn’t have a movie to watch. HA! I’d love to get paid $10/hr to sit around and watch movies all day.

Actually, no I wouldn’t. I have too much fun at the job I already have. Yesterday was a nerve-wracking day for me because I had to lead my first science lab. I knew the material so that wasn’t the problem. I was afraid the kids would act like they normally do when there is a sub. It was the 6th grade class and they can be quite rambunctious at times so I had no idea what to expect. Wouldn’t you know they were perfect little angels? They listened, answered my questions, and actually completed the lab with time to spare. They were even polite to each other! Phew! I know, I know… it seems silly for me to be nervous being that this is my job and has been for a long time. That’s just how I am. I get insecure when I don’t need to be and end up surprising myself in the end almost every time.

4 comments:

Aimee said...

Yay for you for voting! Yay for you for keeping the lab under control yesterday!

:)

**smooch**

Kerri said...

*taking a bow*

Jenny said...

Glad you survived lab day. You deserve so much applause for doing your best each day with these kids, and for caring for them, and teaching them not just knowledge from books, but also about life. Yay Kerri!

Isn't it adorable to vote in a small community!! I think we were about 99 and 100 at 7:15 AM.

Kerri said...

I don't know about deserving applause. *blushing* I just happen to be lucky enough to have a job that I love and every once in a while I surprise myself and figure out that I may actually be good at what I do.