Monday, November 22, 2004

Monotonous Monday

9:00AM: I just looked outside. The sky is so beautiful. I'm kicking myself for not bringing a camera. The sun hasn't been up for long so the blue is a deep shade. The clouds look pink and that causes parts of the sky to look purple. The streets look deserted. Quiet for a Monday-even in a town as small as this. It seems sort of eerie; like the calm before a storm.

2:30PM: I'm sitting in the library waiting for the dismissal bell to ring. This is where I do my afterschool study hall.

Today was a pretty uneventful day as far as school. I was expecting the kids to be antsy as they usually are when they know there's a break coming up. The older ones especially. Much to my surprise and delight, they've been quite the opposite.

The building we are in is separated into two wings. The Lower Wing is where the Library, Science Lab, Office, Cafeteria/Gym, Teachers Work Room, and Kindergarten through Second grade classrooms are. The Upper Wing has the Math Lab, Teacher's Lounge, Store Rooms, and Third through Sixth grade classrooms. The Computer Lab, the Guidance Counselor's room, and the Resource Rooms are in a hallway connecting the two wings. If you were to see the building from the air, it looks like a U.

The Upper Wing, for some reason, had a strange odor lingering in the air. At times it smelled like hot candle wax. At other times it had more of a diesel smell. Whatever it was, it was strong. I'm surprised nobody got nauseous or complained of a headache. It's just started to drift down this way. I don't know how they managed to breathe it all day.

I wrote this post on my PDA today. I've really got to come up with more intersting things to write about. I'm even boring myself with this.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Kerri, that is QUITE a collections of bears, Friend. ;-) How cute!

Usually when I think about AK, I don't think about the late sunrise, early sunset that is characteristic of the winter months. Only a few more weeks, though, of this really horrid stuff, right?

We will have tons of slushy messy snow on Thanksgiving. Wanna come over? We're deep-frying turkey lurkeys at my aunt's house and there will be about 30 of us there. Two more won't hurt at all!

Have a great day. Don't get TOO anxious about the upcoming break!!!

Jenny said...

OK, 5 weeks and it will be lighter earlier and later than today. ;-)

Kerri said...

We actually get more daylight than mainland Alaska so I don't complain too much.

I've got 3 collections. Teddy bears, Disney "stuff", and Coca-Cola "stuff". Anyone who has ever bought me a gift knows that if it is about one of those things or green in color, I'm happy. :o)

Aimee said...

Ok, so if we found a Disney teddy bear drinking a coca cola, would that be the ultimate, or would that just be over the top?

;)

Kerri said...

The ultimate, definitely! Over-the-top would be a Disney teddy bear dressed in green drinking a Coca-Cola! :op

Jenny said...

I was thinking the same thing. ;-)