Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Superstitions and Wive's Tales

My father-in-law called me early this morning. He said, "Mom said someone tried to follow her into the bedroom this morning. Be careful for the next 4 days."

"Okay, I will," I promised and hung up.

I asked Michael what he meant by that. He didn't know but the more we talked about it, the more I figured it was one of his mothers superstitions. He dropped me off at work and said he'd go find out more.

So this is what happened. His mother had just come out of the restroom after her morning shower. She went into her bedroom, then closed and locked the door behind her. She heard something and looked up at the door. The knob was turning like someone wanted to come in. She called out asking if it was Richard, my nephew who is living with her. There was no answer so she finished dressing and then she and my father-in-law walked out into the hall. The house was quiet, all doors to the outside were still locked. They walked into Richard's bedroom and he was still sleeping. That's when my father-in-law started making phone calls.

Apparently, if you lock yourself in a room and you think you hear and see the doorknob moving like someone is trying to follow you, then you can expect something bad to happen. I don't know if it's death or injury, or what. But we've all been warned to be careful for 4 days.

How do superstitions like this start? Who was the first one to relate a bad circumstance to a locked door?

There's one that says if a bird should fly into your house, you have to trap it and kill it or someone in your family will die.

Then there's the one that says you have to give your first catch of the season away. If you don't, you won't catch any more fish.

There are a lot more that I can't think of at the moment. When did they start? Why do people belive in them?

5 comments:

Jenny said...

After awhile, do you start getting tired of hearing how cute your hair looks? I know it sounds ungracious, but one particular customer at my work will tell me he likes my hair when get gets there and when he leaves, EACH TIME. Like you, I had very long hair (lower back), but I got it cut to chin length a whole year ago.

I do not abide by superstitions. I refuse to live life that way. But I do know the ones about 7 years of bad luck if you shatter a mirror, bad luck if you walk underneath a ladder, and if a black kitty crosses your path. But we had a jet black kitty when I was a kid, so I never worried about that one. There's another one about throwing salt over your left shoulder, but I think that's only if you shatter the mirror.

Have a great day, O cute haired one!

Kerri said...

Jayleigh, being commented always embarrasses me, but that's just me. The hair comments aren't bothering me because even I am not used to the change yet. It was such a drastic change and I hadn't warned anyone I was going to do it so they were all surprised.

As for the superstitions, I don't believe any of them either, just curious about how they start. The ones my in-laws always refer to seem to be passed down through their families. It's just interesting to me.

Jenny said...

It is very interesting to see the things handed down from one generation to the next. When do you get the news about Hub's tests?

Kerri said...

I was hoping to have heard by now. Maybe by next week. If not, I'll have him call and see what's up.

Aimee said...

I don't know about the superstition thing, but my sister might. She has a BA in Cultural Anthropology. You could ask--she wouldn't mind. Her link is on my site.

Hope you're having a good day!