Thursday, October 07, 2004

Friendship

I am not the most outgoing person around so it’s not always easy for me to meet new people. I’m not without friends, but my circle is small and tight-knit. I’m normally the one people come to for support or a listening ear. I am pretty quiet so sometimes appear to be withdrawn or stand-offish to someone who doesn’t know me. Once I get to know you, though, watch out because I shed my shell and there’s no turning back. :o)

My circle is small, and we are all different. I have friends who are older than me and friends who are younger. I have friends who are more extroverted and those who are as quiet as I am. I think that is what keeps us so close. We compliment each other in many different ways.

Being online has changed me. I have some friends online whom I’ve never seen and most likely never will. It’s become easier for me to open up because of these online friends. I can tell them things I wouldn’t tell the friends who surround me everyday. Maybe it’s a false sense of security. I’m hiding behind my computer screen rather than confronting things head-on. But the reality is if it wasn’t for my computer screen, I wouldn’t be sharing at all. I’m always the one doing the listening. I never do the talking. I’m the strong one. I’m the rock. I’m the dependable one. Being online, whether it is through instant messaging or posting on this blog, I’m free to say what I want. I’m getting better at sharing with people I’m with everyday. I don’t know that I’d be where I am today had it not been for these online friends. I’ve learned a lot about myself since I’ve been online.

If any of my online friends happen upon my blog, thank you. :o)

2 comments:

Jenny said...

*big grin*

The anonymity is wonderful. When I first went online I felt the same way. After some time, and LOTS of phone conversations and public meetings Rob and I met a few of the online pals. That's how we met Wade, and he's turned out to be one of our best friends EVER.

Thank you for the compliment. I like to think the obscurity given by talking online is that it doesn't matter how I look or if I am sometimes nervous talking to people in person, it doesn't matter how tall or short, thick or thin I am, because the person on the other end will only see my words. And the big benefit is that you NEVER have to see a horrified reaction on someone's face if you reveal something you think is terrible about yourself.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Have a great day. *singing* I don't have to go to work today! I took the day off to spend with Rob. Yayyyyyyyyyy!!!! (He's making bacon and french toast as I lazily sip my coffee and watch Regis and Kelly.)

**hugs**

Anonymous said...

Just read your posts. I thought I would say, I've enjoyed our online friendship. I look forward to chatting with you in the evenings or when we catch each other on. I'm glad your my friend. Have a good evening..hugs!!