Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Potluck

We’re going to a potluck today. My cousin has been married 25 years. Gosh, that means he got married when I was 8…that’s almost three fourths my life. He’s really not old, so they must have married really young.

I’m going to bring a salmon casserole. I have to bring the same dish to all of our family potlucks because if I don’t, they ask for it. I’ve tried giving them the recipe but they say it doesn’t taste the same. That’s okay…saves me from trying to find new recipes. Hehe

I can’t believe the week is almost over already. Two more work days and it’s another weekend. It seems like I just posted about my niece and our weekend together.

There’s a basketball tournament starting tonight. Basketball is a big thing here. Everyone plays or has played in the past. If you don’t play, you watch…with a passion. It’s amazing how quick one turns on a family member just because they’re wearing a referee uniform and you don’t agree with the call. I’m so glad I don’t play anymore. I used to hate hearing the crowd heckle the refs. I don’t heckle and my husband gets an elbow in his ribs if he tries. We usually have kids around us so I don’t want them learning that from him. High school basketball doesn’t start until December. Between adult tournaments, high school, and little league, we’ll be watching basketball from now until about March or April.

This is turning into another one of those rambling about nothing posts so I’ll stop now.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

How funny you should mention b-ball. I was going to write a long post about it on my blog today but I decided not to because I've been having serious difficulty posting lately. (haha, I'll write the long post on YOUR blog)

I played basketball from 7th grade until 11th and never played again until 5 years ago. I HATED it in school (because of my psycho coach) and that's why I didn't play my senior year, but a few years ago I just *had* to shoot some hoops.

For Christmas last year my folks got me a hoop for my driveway and I played for an hour today by myself (with a dress on!) while trying to make heads and/or tails of the "Mindy" issue. I always feel better afterward.

I cannot get angry at the ball to make it do what I want. And I cannot get angry with Mindy to make HER do what I want. In both situations, it's ME who has to move around, look for a better way to accomplish my goal, and use a soft hand to get the job done.

Good for you being an example to the kids for sportsmanship.

And it HAS been a short week.

Kerri said...

Yet one more similarity, eh? I played ball my freshman and sophomore years. My junior and senior years I was the manager of the team. I don't play on a team any more but when I see something my nieces need to work on, I'll play with them. One of my uncles is in charge of cleaning the Town Hall where all of our local basketball tournaments are held so I get the key from him and we go and play all by ourselves. If I had a hoop in my driveway, I don't know that I'd get any housework done! I don't have outdoor duty anymore but when I did, I spent more time shooting hoops with the kids than I did supervising. hehe

As far as having trouble posting, I've gotten in the habit of typing my posts in a word processor first and then pasting it onto Blogger. There were a few times I'd typed out a long post only to have some sort of technical glitch and lose it all. Typing it in a separate program saves the headache because even if Blogger doesn't work, I don't lose my post.

Jenny said...

Oh now that is a GREAT idea.

I'll have to dust off Word and fire it up!