Sunday, October 17, 2004

Happy Birthday, Uncle!


This is my uncle. He was attending a traditional wedding in Seattle a few months ago. This picture was in the Seattle newspaper. I don't remember which one.

He turned 85 today. After church we had a party for him. It's always nice to get together with family. Especially for such a happy occasion.

He's my uncle by marriage. When I was in the 5th grade, my aunts "real" husband passed away. Soon after, she and this man became close and eventually married. I, being stubborn and thick-headed, was not willing to accept this man as my uncle. I refused to address him as Uncle. I blamed him for my uncle's death. Soon after my aunt divorced, he started drinking heavily. One night he had too much to drink, passed out, and never woke up. In my mind, he wouldn't have even been drinking if he hadn't divorced. It took me a few years to accept, not only his death, but my aunts new husband. I was in highschool by the time I allowed myself to get to know him and really accept him as family.

Later on, after I had become engaged, I said something about my uncle. My then soon-to-be husband, pointed out the fact that my uncle was his uncle. (No, my husband and I were not related before we got married. This man is my uncle becuase he married my aunt. He's my husband's uncle becuase he is his mothers older brother. Make sense?) Now we fight over him. When one of us says something about "my uncle" the other will say, "You mean, MY uncle!"

At any rate, I love him and have great respect for him. And just for the record, he's MY uncle. :o) Posted by Hello

5 comments:

Kate said...

Wow! That's soo cool! :-)

Jenny said...

Kerri, thanks for your comment on my blog earlier, and thanks for your prayers.

Yet another similarity, OK, 2 of them. My paternal Grandma passed away when I was 5 and my Grandfather remarried when I was 7. I never called Pat my grandma until 8 years ago when my grandfather passed away. Why is it that I tried so hard to deny her? I love her so much now and she's a great part of my life!

Secondly, Rob's niece Mindy is my 2nd cousin through our mothers. And of course she LOVES telling people that she is my niece and my cousin. So I have to do damage control and say we are related through Rob and Mindy's Dad and also through our moms.

That photo is great and I am glad you now claim your uncle. ;-)

Kerri said...

It's crazy how things like that happen. One of my dad's cousins married my mom's niece so when he'd address my dad, he'd call him, "Cousin-Uncle Benny in-law".

Jenny said...

Hahah. That's funny. Mindy calls me Aunt Cousin Thingey, but only when she's trying to bother me. My sis always says that in a couple of generations in this part of Michigan, we'll all be inbred because everyone is related to everyone.

Thanks for the laughs.

Kerri said...

Yay! Laughters good...especially on a blue day.