Friday, October 01, 2004

Holidays are Near

I can't believe it's already October! I guess it's time to start my Christmas shopping. I usually try to get all my gifts bought and wrapped before Halloween. In November, I sign and address all of my Christmas cards. That way, once the stress of cooking a huge Thanksgiving dinner is out of the way, Christmas is easy.

I never liked how my dad would wait until the last minute to shop for Christmas. I always ended up doing his wrapping and it was too stressful for me. I'd be there covered in tape, bows, curling ribbon, and gift tags while family members were stopping by to deliver gifts and by the time I finished wrapping, we'd be the last ones delivering late into the night.

What I remember about Christmases with my mom at home is the baking. She gave cookies as gifts every year and I always helped her bake. It was usually a lot of fun. The only cookie I didn't like to make were the jam thumbprints because my jobs were always chopping the nuts and rolling the dough balls in the egg whites. I didn't like the slimy, gooey feel of the egg whites. Like my mom, I give cookies as gifts each year but I haven't baked thumbprints since she moved away.

I believed in Santa Claus as a child. My mom always decorated the house the day after Thanksgiving (a tradition I follow to this day). On the Saturday after Thanksgiving, my sister and I would sit down and write our letters to Santa. We always asked for 3 things a piece and we always got what we asked for. I was about 8 or 9 when I stopped believing and that was my sisters fault. She started snooping in my parents bedroom closet one night when she was home alone. She found a huge stuffed Yogi Bear. That was something she had asked Santa for. She told me about it and when I didn't believe her, she showed me. I was mad at her for showing me. On Christmas morning, she opened her Yogi Bear and cried. I never understood why. Was it because she had wanted it so badly she was happy to get it? Was it because she realized Santa wasn't real or because she knew that she was the reason I no longer believed? Was she feeling guilty about snooping? I never knew and probably never will.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Kerri! I always do my Christmas shopping too! I make sure to have everything purchased before Thanksgiving because from then on, it's hellish in stores - especially the one where I work! I *always* write my Cards while on the road to South Carolina to see Hub's sis and family at Thanksgiving.

And I have this amazing cookie recipe I am fiddling around with so's I can give out goodies to neighbors and family this year.

Are you sure we weren't separated at birth? Hehe I already have a twin sis, though. ;-)

Have a great night!

Jenny said...

1. I meant I shop early, too.
2. I blame my older brother for telling my sis and me there was no Santa. We were only 5. He said "Isn't it strange how the boot prints in the fireplace ashes match the treads in Dad's snowmobile boots?"

Kerri said...

Jayleigh, I'd say I'm your long lost triplet, but I don't have red hair!
5 is too young...glad I was a little bit older.

Jenny said...

Do you have a copy of the other poem? I love the quote. Had a long day at the pharmacy today but it was OK. There's a chill in the air and HUB is planning on taking me to a cider mill before sundown. Yay.

You don't need the red hair to be a kindred spirit. ;o)

Kerri said...

Aww, you're sweet. :o)