Saturday, October 16, 2004

The Seven Wonders of MY World

Most everyone has heard a reference to “The Seven Wonders of the World”. Can you name what they are? I can’t ever remember them all without looking them up. I know one is the statue of Zeus at Olympia, one is the Great Pyramid at Giza, I think one’s in Iraq.

My husband was flipping channels today and I heard someone say, “I would definitely include this in my list of the Seven Wonders.” Or something to that effect.

That got me thinking. What are my Seven Wonders? What seven things have shaped me? What seven things have influenced who I am? Are there even seven? As we were walking the beach today, I started forming a list in my mind. If I had to list seven things- objects, places, or events- that influenced my life in some way, what would they be?

Wonder #1 would definitely have to be my mother. How could it not be? If it weren’t for her, I never would have entered this world. She only lived with me until I was 12, but when I am with her, I see myself in her. More and more each time. Things from the way my hair curls to the way we eat our sandwiches. I sing like she does. We sound a lot alike. We both have strong work ethics. We both spend a lot of time taking care of others. I got my compassion from her. She also taught me patience.

Wonder #2, then, would be my father. He cared for me and my sister all by himself after my mom left home. He taught me to cook. I got my sense of humor from him. He also taught me loyalty. I know how to fish because of him. :o)

Wonder #3 is my husband. He has made me happier than I could have ever imagined. I didn’t know it was possible to love somebody this much. He spoils takes very good care of me. I don’t want for anything. He puts up with my moods and accepts my flaws. What more can I ask for?

Wonder #4 would be my yaya. With only an 8th grade education, he was the wisest person I’ve ever met. He taught me our native language. He taught me to respect others. He taught me that, no matter what, life is worth living to the fullest.

Wonder #5 on my list would be my church. Many of the important events and most memorable moments of my life happened at the church. That’s where I joined my first choir. It’s where I sang my first solo. My grandmother’s funeral was there. I got married there. My family has had receptions, baby showers, birthday parties, and bridal showers there.

Wonder #6 is this island I call home. This island, though small, is grand in beauty. It has beautiful beaches and majestic mountains. Crystal clear lakes and ponds are abundant. I can understand how someone from the “outside” might think this island of ours is boring or primitive (NO McDonalds, movie theater, or mall?!). That’s what makes it so special to me, though. Everything I need is here. I’ve got family, friends, a wonderful job, beautiful surroundings, and plenty to do (loving the outdoors helps). I can’t imagine living anyplace else.

Wonder #7 may sound silly, but it’s my computer. True, it’s temperamental and sometimes I can’t make it do what I want it to. But if it were not for this computer, I wouldn’t have come to know some of the people I do now. It saves money on postage and phone bills. It connects me to parts of the world I most likely will never see. It was just the tool I needed to find Blogland. :o)

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Kerri. My kindred blog-sister. Your list has me in tears. And not surprisingly, my list matches yours. I don't live on an island, but I love it here.

The bit about your Yaya always has me near to tears, he sounds like such a beautiful soul, not unlike yourself.

Keep blogging, Friend. You touch so many lives when you open up.

Kerri said...

When I first started this blog, I had no idea what I was getting into. I hadn't really thought about the fact that other people would be reading it. I didn't give a moments thought to what my words would mean to anyone else. The more personal entries I make, the more I am learning about myself. Things like what is important to me and why. I also find myself doing a lot more soul searching when I am alone or have a quiet moment. I'm flattered that you are moved by my words. Your compliments mean a lot to me. Thank you.

Kerri said...

Thank you, Tara. I find myself doing just that more and more these days.